A typical marketing mix consists of a few main elements that fall in either inbound or outbound marketing categories. However, for B2B leaders, the mix of content for thought leadership looks a bit different. Because thought leadership is all about establishing credibility and expertise, some of the typical marketing strategies are better suited when compared to others.
Regardless of the type of thought leadership created, it is more challenging than ever to get it to stand out. With the rise in the use of digital channels to promote content, more and more organizations and individuals are utilizing every channel possible, flooding these channels with consistent content. What will it take for yours to stand out? Check out our strategies in this blog.
Being a B2B Thought Leader
Many B2B leaders are very knowledgeable about several topics, so creating and distributing thought leadership content is incredibly beneficial. When it comes to B2B thought leadership, it is essential to understand what content pieces are more effective than others in conveying industry and topic expertise. One of the main goals is to establish credibility and act as a thought leader in the space. But, most importantly, create content that is relevant and worthwhile to the audiences that are trying to be reached. Anyone can create a white paper, but if the information is not accurate or not well presented, audiences members consuming the content will not be impressed and most likely not deem you a credible source or thought leader.
Ideas for Thought Leadership Content
- White papers: Similar to a research report, white papers are a complete guide to a complex topic or focus area. A white paper should deliver research- and data-backed content to audiences so they can then utilize that information in their organization. Because white papers tend to be longer than a blog or article, the information inside includes many actionable tips, best practices and useful strategies to either overcome the challenge or execute a component of marketing in the most effective way possible.
- Videos: Videos have become increasingly popular in the new digital age, so utilizing this component as a thought leader is essential. There are many different avenues to take when creating a video, but it’s important to focus on the content, audience and what you want them to take away from the information you present. Videos can also be a way to be more personable if you film them yourself!
- Articles: Articles are one of the more common forms of thought leadership content. As the author of the article, which includes useful information, key data and more, readers see that and associate you with industry expertise.
- Podcasts: Podcasts are becoming utilized more and more by B2B leaders. The great thing about podcasts? It can be almost anything you want it to be! You can host other B2B industry leaders, customers and even team members. Presenting relevant information, whether it be from yourself or the individuals you have on your podcast, will bring listeners back for more because of your trustworthy, impactful information.
Build an effective B2B digital marketing strategy with the tips and best practices in our Digital Marketing Guide! Download it now.
Strategies to Make B2B Thought Leadership Content Stand Out
All B2B leaders are producing some form of thought leadership content. Whether it’s the same types of assets you are producing, there are many ways to make yours stand out amongst the rest.
- Boost credibility through trusted data: Data that is included in thought leadership that is trusted and well-sourced can elevate your information. Adding results or statistics from a research study recently conducted, or even a survey that you distributed yourself, will add an extra sense of credibility to the thought leadership content.
- Add a personal touch: Consuming a piece of content that is monotone and information only might not be the most effective approach. Adding a personal touch, such as personal experiences or advice, can go a long way. When a reader can make a personal connection to some portion of your content, your brand becomes more memorable to them, thus increasing brand awareness.
- Promote on social media: This might seem like a no-brainer, but promote your thought leadership content on social media! 4.48 billion people around the world use social media. This is a large audience to reach, even though you might not be reaching all 4.48 billion. Pushing content to connections on LinkedIn and followers on Facebook and Twitter will help increase the reach. The more people who consume, or even come across your content, the more credible your content is.
- Mix it up and get creative: Producing the same types of content consistently isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it’s always nice to mix it up. While the types of content will be similar, adding a creative or unique touch can help make yours stand out. For example, adding new, bold elements in the design of a video or white paper might make the content more appealing thus drawing more attention and increasing the number of people that come across it.
Need help with inbound or outbound marketing or creating a thought leadership marketing mix? Contact us today or request a free marketing consultation. We provide B2B tech marketing services in Austin and beyond.