Content marketing is not a new concept but it has evolved over the years, especially in the past few. With the rise in digital content, the impact of a pandemic and many workplace changes, new content marketing trends have emerged and evolved priorities. As B2B organizations look to reach buyers in more unique and engaging ways, there are a few content marketing trends to focus on and activities to consider when planning content efforts moving forward. Read on for more.
B2B Content Marketing Trends in 2023
The most recent B2B content marketing report from Content Marketing Institute (CMI) revealed some interesting insights on recent B2B marketer activity. Here are some of the key takeaways from the research:
- 67% of B2B marketers are using one or more paid distribution channels: Decreasing from 81% the previous year, it shows how important paid advertising still is for B2B organizations. For successful paid advertising campaigns, it is essential to have compelling content users will engage with.
- 78% of B2B marketers will continue to invest in videos: This increased from 69% last year, indicating how video is becoming widely used. It is easy to consume and combines visuals with important information.
- 28% of B2B marketers say they have the correct technology in place to manage their content: Content management is an important part of a content strategy. Having clear processes, procedures and steps from ideation to delivery matters.
- 49% of B2B marketers plan to use in-person events this year: This shows how enticing events continue to be, with in-person events on the rise again.
Looking for more on building an effective content strategy? Download our free eBook filled with everything you need to build a content strategy that drives lead generation.
B2B Content Marketing Activities to Focus On
As we move forward, there are some extra B2B content marketing activities to plan and implement in your organization. With change always happening, it is important to stay updated on trends so changes in strategy take place. Here are a few activities to focus on backed by research from CMI:
- Focus on Quality Stories: 83% of B2B marketers who produce quality content stand out. It has never been more important to create quality content that engages the reader and entices them to take the next step.
- Continue to Use Email Marketing to Promote Content: 75% of B2B marketers use email newsletters to distribute content. Email marketing has proven itself to be a reliable channel for B2B marketers to distribute content and will continue to be.
- Reevaluate Social Media Marketing: LinkedIn continues to be the most used social media platform for B2B marketers. It has also been the most effective. Other platforms such as Facebook and Twitter are showing not as effective or used. It is a good idea to reevaluate efforts on each and try to maximize activities for the most results.
- Consider Content Performance Benchmarks: 80% of B2B marketers measure content performance. As important as measuring performance is, it is as essential to understanding what to measure, why and what the data values mean. When it comes to gated content and form fills, focus on conversions. For blogs and other ungated content, check out pageviews and time on the page. Set the key metrics for each content type and collect the appropriate data.
- Revisit Event Strategy: 50% of B2B marketers said in-person events produced the best results for their content marketing. If you have not already attended an event, it is the perfect time to revisit your events strategy. What is on the calendar that makes sense to attend and/or have a booth at? Does it make sense to host an event? What about speaking at an event? Events are a great way to share content, network and build brand awareness.
Content is the driving factor in many B2B marketing activities. Understanding content marketing trends in 2023 will not only help direct efforts for this year but moving forward as well. Here’s to strong B2B content and effective marketing efforts!
Need help with your content marketing strategy or looking to create more effective content? Contact us today or request a free marketing consultation! We’ve helped many of our over 200 clients formalize their content marketing strategies and create content that converts.